Working Sump Pump Prevents Flooding in Aitkin Home Basement?
Have you inspected your sump pump to ensure it is in good working condition in the event of a flooding event? Flooding from Spring snowmelt can damage homes and businesses when sump pumps fail. Our local Aitkin, Carlton, and West St. Louis Counties teams respond to storm damage emergencies every year. The Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) offers these helpful tips for maintaining your sump pump to keep your sump pump in good repair:
- Open the lid and remove debris that may be blocking the water inlet screen
- Pour about five gallons of water into the pump and watch the float valve rise
- As the float valve rises, the pump should turn on, and the water should discharge through the outlet pipe
- Go outside and inspect the outlet pipe
- Water should be flowing from the pipe and away from the home
- Contact a plumbing professional if the sump pump fails to operate during this inspection
- Install a battery backup system
- Choose a system with a battery replacement warning
- Replace batteries every two to three years
Call Us Today!
When you discover flood damage in your Aitkin home or commercial business, our local team in Aitkin, Carlton, and West St. Louis Counties will restore the damage “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at 218-879-6141.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.